This recipe will make around 20 different shaped biscuits.
Prep time - 1/2 an hour
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting;
- 1/2tsp salt;
- 2tsp bicarbonate of soda;
- 1 heaped tsp ground ginger;
- 50g unsalted butter;
- 100g soft brown sugar;
- 100g golden syrup.
You will also need;
- Baking tray;
- Baking parchment;
- A sieve;
- A large bowl;
- Cookie cutters in different shapes (try and find ones shaped like bats or skulls for an extra spooky effect!)
- Pre-heat your oven to 190C, to begin with;
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment;
- Sieve the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon into a large bowl;
- Heat the butter, sugar, and syrup in a saucepan until the ingredients have dissolved completely and leave to cool for a few minutes. Then, mix this into the dry ingredients to form a dough. Chill the dough in the fridge for around 30 minutes.
- Lightly dust flour onto a clean surface and roll out the chilled dough;
- Stamp out your spooky shapes with a cutter then spread them out on the baking sheets with enough space in between them;
- Put your biscuits into the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes;
- When you remove the biscuits, leave them to cool before serving!
Everything that our Catering students produce in the kitchen is then served in our onsite coffee shop and bistro, giving students invaluable commercial experience.
Find out more about our Catering courses at one of our upcoming Open Days.